Saturday, August 16, 2008

Date My Dad!

I know he'll never read my blog, so (devious laugh) it's time to see if we can't find my Dad a nice Lady (that part IS important) to spend time with.



The particulars:

He's 72 years old and his hair is still mostly the dark brown he started with.  A little bit missing on the top.  He's got pretty blue eyes (I got mine from him) and good teeth - all his own, thank you very much!  He works out every day - walking and a cardio session - and is in better shape than I am.  He's not a big guy - about 5'5" and around 150lbs.  He's a Cancer by astrological sign, so he's a little bit sensitive and moody, but he has a great sense of humor, too, and can be very quietly funny.

He's a morning person.  You don't have to be (he's made allowances for me) but it would help if you like the hours of 5 a.m. to about 10 p.m. best.  

He's traditional and conservative in his views.  Sometimes this can be a bit annoying (to me) but he enjoys a good debate and can argue his side.  Well.  Again, he's made allowances for my much more liberal views.  

He's very protective of those who he cares for and sends the mushiest birthday cards - awww, cute!  

He likes his 2000 Jaguar S-Type but has a travel trailer (a caravan if any Brits or Top Gear fans are paying attention) and a truck to tow it as well.  He's sensible, though, and the Jag's his 'good' car.  He drives a Subaru Outback most of the time.  Both the Jag and the Subaru bought used. 

He enjoys good Scotch, red wine and a nice meal - Jake's, The Ringside or McCormick's in Portland are some of his favorites, but I usually get together with him for breakfast on weekend mornings and he likes Mc Menamins' Kennedy School a lot.  And Old Wives' Tales - that one has me puzzled 'cause it's really East Side Portland Funky Hippie-Alternative - but hey, the food is good!  They have the best Hungarian Mushroom Soup on the planet, not that we eat it for breakfast.  All restaurants are local to the Portland, Oregon/Vancouver, Washington area.

He doesn't really care that much for sweets - not even chocolate - I must have gotten my addiction from my Mom.

He tends to read books about real people and history rather than fiction.

He's not so into pets.  We had a dog when I was a kid, but Dad would prefer a pet-free lifestyle. He's resigned himself to having Tabby Boys as grandkids on my part by pretty much ignoring them.   Thank goodness my other siblings have the human grandkid (and great grandkid) thing well taken care of.

He can make anything out of wood or metal and has built houses, fine furniture (he likes Shaker inspired design - he made me a beautifully proportioned console table with two drawers out of cherry wood that is my most prized furniture possession) and an airplane and a sailboat.  

The kind of woman that would do best with my Dad will be somewhat traditional herself, straight but not narrow perhaps, have opinions of her own and be able to support them articulately.  She should be retired and free to travel and roughly the same age or a little younger than 72.  She should be moderately active as he would like to have someone to take those early morning walks with.   She should be petite - he doesn't think that tall women like short guys - but he's not one of those little guys who like tall blondes either.  At least not so far. 

Any interested parties please post a comment to this blog explaining a bit about yourself and why you think my Dad might be the right guy for you.




No comments: