Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Okay. Go ahead and mock me.

But I went to a great show Sunday night.  'Twas Al Stewart - he of The Year of the Cat fame - sans the Alan Parsons arrangements, saxophones and with only two guitars and intermittent electric keyboard.  

Couldn't interest any of my circle of friends to come along for the fun - oh well, their loss.   Nearly sold out show, but very few folks younger than me in attendance (and lots a bit older).

He's one of those guys that keeps turning out good music even though his glory days of the late 70s are past.  Kind of flying under the radar far as I was concerned though Year of the Cat and On the Border are probably two of my all time favorite songs.  Love the poetry, imagery of YotC.  He did both - OtB was the better of the two - with the Hobbit-y looking guitarist in the vid below (Dave Nachmanoff).



I don't think Al was ever a real 'looker' maybe to some, back in the day.  He looks a bit like Wallace of Wallace and Gromit now...



Maybe a little more hair.  His voice is still as beautiful as ever- hasn't lost much of the airy, nonchalant but lilting quality he had/has.  He sounded really good.   
     
He's got a new album out and did a few from it - was a huge line to get said cd signed - I didn't stick around.  I'll have to go get the cd though.  Perhaps.

His opening act was a young woman named Gabby Young with Stephen Ellis who was simply amazing - and very right for Portland.  What with our local acts like Pink Martini and Three Leg Torso and penchant for other "not rock, not pop, not jazz - not quite easy to categorize" acts - though Gabby's not really like either of these two bands  I'd go see her if she came back around without Al.

3 comments:

Cup said...

"The Year of the Cat" reminds me of my senior year in high school.

glassmeow said...

Wait a minute - thought you're a year older than me? That was out in '75 or '76 - were you a prodigy? I graduated in '78.

& the song's been stuck in my head since Sunday.

glassmeow said...

Oh wait. Year of the Cat the album was released in July of 1976 (UK - October 1976 US) but the single made it to no. 8 on the Billboard charts in 1977.

...but I'd still believe it if you said you were a prodigy.