Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Birds, The Byrds, The Beatles & Hitchcock

Dang!  Spaced out the logo...


Okay so these aren't your usual 6 degrees sort of links.  They're a little oblique and undulating. The KatBox contribution, at Beth's invitation, to The Six Degrees of the GMMP 



Robyn Hitchcock and The Egyptians' 1991 Perspex Island, "Birds in Perspex" for the pretty Byrds-like guitar bits (I almost wanted to invoke "Turn, Turn, Turn" but it sounded stodgy and dated after all these years) played by Robyn himself with Andy Metcalf (an original Soft Boy) on acoustic - Peter Buck was (is?) an Egyptian, but he doesn't play on this track.




So, birds?  Pretty guitar bits?  Credited to Lennon & McCartney, "And Your Bird Can Sing", from Revolver, 1966 by the Fab Four was really John's songwriting credit alone and of course he sings the lead.  I love the interplay of George's and John's guitars - sweet little riff - more than you really wanted to know about it here.  I could have flipped these two songs -it's Robyn who sometimes channels Lennon, not the other way around - but I liked the way they sounded in the playlist with Robyn's first.



Cascading guitar runs and this time it IS Peter Buck.   R.E.M.'s "Pretty Persuasion" from 1984's Reckoning - right in the thick of their jangle pop period - love that chiming Rickenbacker and Bill Berry's driving, urgent beat - this sounds as if it could get away from them - but it doesn't quite and that just makes me love this song all the more.  Minor key changes, obscure lyrics, this is possibly my favorite single R.E.M. song (even if New Adventures in High Fi is still my favorite album). 



It's on 2004's In Rock, The Minus 5 covering "The Little Black Egg", The Nightcrawlers' mid 60's hit - I sure don't remember them, but then I was 6 in the mid 60's.   Links?  Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey and Bill Rieflin - one official and two 'additional musician' members of R.E.M. who moonlight as The Venus 3 to back Robyn Hitchcock.  Musical links? Another great jangly guitar pop song, but this time it's Scott and former Model Rocket, current Tripwire lead singer John Ramberg playing the riffs.  I wish I had a pony for every time I've heard them sing this live.  Actually.  No. I don't.  But I still love this song.



More Lennon, but I was really thinking of Hunt Sales' drum intro and machine gun outro of Tin Machine's 1988 cover of his "Working Class Hero" on their eponymous first album.  The song as John Lennon sang it is quietly outraged, powerful.  This version gives it (bigger) balls and Bowie


More driving drums (Bill Rieflin this time) and a Beatle-esque Robyn sounding very Lennon (especially the line "...that'll do nicely, step this way sir, after you") "The Authority Box" from Ole Tarantula, 2006, Robyn Hitchcock and afore-mentioned Venus 3.  The song also contains one of the strangest/best lines in rock "F*ck me baby, I'm a trolleybus!" This is contemporary Hitchcock at its most wry and fun, but it wouldn't sound out of place on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band.
  




6 comments:

Splotchy said...

Great songs, and great links!!

glassmeow said...

Thanks!

Dale said...

Loved your picks, just had a listen through and I'll be listening again and again. REM's a long time favourite and it's nice to hear more Robyn Hitchcock who I'm only nominally familiar with. Nice post.

glassmeow said...

Thanks Dale!

I wish I could say I've been following Robyn Hitchcock since he was a Soft Boy*, I've only actively been listening since 2001 or so. He is simply brilliant in so many ways. Other than I think he has an uneasy relationship with fame, he should be so better known than he is.


*despite some of his older material, like "She Doesn't Exist" (which has Michael Stipe singing backup, btw) and "52 Stations" sounding like I must have heard them when they were new...

Barbara Bruederlin said...

What an inventive list! I was trying to figure out your 6 degrees from your playlist alone and it had me stumped. It all makes sense now. Well done!

glassmeow said...

Hi Barbara :)

Thanks! I'm just not a linear thinker - it all ends up in circles and obscure relationships!

Every now and again I try a Six Degrees of Scott McCaughey post, I swear he's worked with everyone out there, but I suck at actually playing the game. Janey (a.k.a. Myrnaloy) always kicks my ass.