Friday, December 26, 2008

Boxing Day mixed bag

Dad drove (AWD Subarus get through anything) us down to Eugene to my brother's house yesterday. My street was the worst of it both coming and going. I-5 was pretty much clear. Berms of frozen-over slush between the lanes and in some places the outer lanes were part covered by ice. On the way home when we got to my street the frozen ruts were so aggressive that we went skittering all over the place. Managed to miss the parked cars. I stood in the road and watched Dad drive away to be sure he got back out okay too.

Today it is warming up - 37 at the airport - and supposed to rain. It's sun behind clouds right now. That's great coz I have to go out and take the bus (Miz Pea still has a pile of snow behind her - plus our street is still messy) to get more cat food and litter before there's a general strike here.

The radio controlled Tarantula I got my 7 nearly 8 year old nephew was a huge hit. They chased my niece's Mini Pinscher/Chihuahua puppy around with it. She didn't like it very much - hopefully she won't take a big bite out of it when nobody's looking.

Got to spend a little time holding my great-niece Isabelle while her mommy opened presents. She's a beautiful baby. No, I'm not biased, she really is. I found her a cute little outfit with a leopard print mini skirt, matching shirt and little leopard print plastic cat-eye shaped sunglasses. Those were a little big. I wish someone had snapped a picture when my sister in law plopped them on her little face.

I got cash from Dad (he doesn't like to shop) and a gift card to Borders from my brother (Hey! I thought we weren't doing gifts?) so if the weather holds, I'll head downtown on the bus as well. I wonder if they have the Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians box set I haven't picked up yet? I'll have to see how much of it is new to me material vs how much I already own coz it's spendy.

Beth posted the Mariah Carey version of this song today. I like the version from the film Love, Actually (Which I should watch today - I've got the dvd - they keep playing a sanitized version on Oxygen and Bravo and it's just not quite as funny without the naughty bits.) so here's that cute kid from the film.



Hope you all have the day off and are having a great extended Christmas holiday with your friends and relatives!

2 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

Radio-controlled cars and leopard print baby minis? You must be the best aunt ever!

glassmeow said...

Radio controlled spiders - even better! It's a life sized tarantula spider with wheels - and wiggly, creepy spider legs.