Sunday, December 14, 2008

Snow!!!

We got our snow!!!


They're not the usual sploshy wet flakes we get here in Portland.  They were teeny little things when I woke up at 7ish, gradually getting bigger and accumulating a little more than a 'dusting' and less than an inch.  The tops of the grass still stick out.  Fairly easy to sweep off of the porch - which I did twice - too cold out there now.  26 degrees and still windy.  

I ran out to take pictures an our or so ago.  There was a robin sitting on the sidewalk.  Thought she was ill or too cold to fly so I went in to get a small towel to pick her up in but she flew away when I came back out.  I hope she's okay.  I didn't think to get birdfood when I was out grocery shopping yesterday in anticipation of the snow. I'm leery of putting out food anyways.  There's rodents and raccoons out there.  And squirrels.  They've totally destroyed my birdfeeder.  And don't robins eat bugs, anyway?  I suppose I could put suet out.  Squirrels won't eat that, will they?  

   Raccoons came through the yard early this morning.  Tried to get a picture of them.  They were so businesslike as they moseyed out of the across the street neighbor's fenced patio, down her drive, up across my front lawn to the chain link fence and over it to the neighbor behind.  I tapped on the glass to get one's attention and it just looked at me like "Whut?"  and I swear posed for the picture.  Too bad it came out totally blurred.  Maybe it was simply hoping I'd open the window and toss some food out.  


4 comments:

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I hope you are still enjoying the snow. We got our first real snow on the weekend and have been in a deep freeze ever since. People here do not seem to know how to drive in the snow. ggrrrr.

glassmeow said...

Actually it warmed up yesterday so the snow is mostly gone from the city. Outlying areas and the West Hills still have some. We're supposed to get more today and over the weekend but now they're not promising accumulation. But they don't really know - so it's a crap shoot! As long as we don't get the freezing rain I'm happy :)

I don't think I could handle -40. I don't even OWN a real winter coat! Stay warm up there!

Cup said...

You have SNOW? It's 70 freakin' degrees here in the ATL. Lucky girl.

glassmeow said...

We had snow again this morning but then it warmed up to 38 or 40 (depending on which website you looked at. NOAA had it at 38 at the airport) and all the snow left the streets. Still some in my yard. It's supposed to be cold again tonight and we might get some more snow.

White Christmas is looking less likely now. Probably just rain by then.