Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Che Ora e La Fine del Mondo?






As much as I love R.E.M. this version always makes me smile.

I first heard Luciano Ligabue by complete accident after purchasing a random cd at an Autostrada rest stop while on a group tour (yeah, I was chicken to do Italy solo the first time) in 1994. It was his first cd and the song that intrigued me was Angelo della Nebbia (Angel in the Fog) which might be a reference to Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire, but I can't remember. The cd was actually pretty good.

I found out much later that Ligabue's kind of the "Bruce Springsteen" of Italy.  

When I returned to Italy in 1996 to see Chihuly's Chihuly Over Venice installation I bought another handful of Ligabue cds.  Caught myself up to Buon Compleanno, Elvis (Happy Birthday Elvis) his latest at the time and probably the one I play most.  A Che Ora e la Fine del Mondo? (When is the End Of The World?, or more literally, at what time is the end of the world?)  was one of them.

Crazy stuff, eh?  Tutto pazzo!

4 comments:

Dale said...

That's hilarious! Wait until Ms. Coffey hears/sees this.

glassmeow said...

I actually sent her a copy of the cd a long while ago. Have you heard anything from Beth lately? I sure haven't.

Barbara Bruederlin said...

I have completely forgotten how over the top Italian videos and tv shows are! Amazing!

glassmeow said...

Especially the game shows :)