Saturday, February 21, 2009

Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Indigo Violet White

She comes in colors everywhere
She's like a rainbow
(The Rolling Stones)




A Skull, A Suitcase and a Long Red Bottle of Wine 
Robyn Hitchcock 
(Black Snake Diamond Role)

"...and when you're gone there won't be anything behind
Except a skull
 A suitcase,
 And a long red bottle of wine"



A band that not known for your typical rock anthem
But whose fans at live shows turn the most unlikely songs
 Into defacto anthems 
By singing along
As loud as the band.   
This song perhaps is that anthem. 




Yellow Submarine 
The Beatles (Revolver)
The film had
Cheery Peter Max-like animation art 
It wasn't Peter Max 
It was Heinz Edelman and Milton Glaser 
(of the "I heart NY" logo) 
Who were the art directors  
Ya just gotta sing along



 Furry Green Atom Bowl 
Robyn Hitchcock (I Often Dream of Trains)  

"There's roots in the earth and bones in the body
and that's the way it stays"

You really cannot add anything to a Robyn Hitchcock lyric



 Bitterblue 
 Cat Stevens (Teaser and The Firecat)

"I gave my last chance to you
Don't hand it back to me bitterblue 
No bitterblue"

A rocker from the Cat.  
This was continually playing on my teenage turntable
Though I liked the sad songs best
 (still do)
   This was in the heyday of the record album
 Which had album art
  And photographs
  Like this one


Which was in full color
 And took up an entire side
Of the album jacket
 Quite kissable, really
  I'd listen 
and wish for a Cat of my own




Purple Haze 
 Jimi Hendrix (Are You Experienced)

"Scuze me while I kiss the sky" 
Chunky guitar riff
  I didn't realize until fairly recently
 That he played left hand
 And everything was upside down
   In my defense
 I was in the first grade
 When this song topped the charts




Into White 
Cat Stevens (Tea for the Tillerman)

"I build my house from barley rice
 Green pepper walls 
And water ice
Tables of paper-wood
Windows of light
And everything emptying 
Into white"

This song's
so beautiful
It almost hurts
Even now
30-odd years later

7 comments:

Splotchy said...

Nicely done!

Thanks a lot for playing. I never thought I'd see Furry Green Atom Bowl on a mix :).

If you participate in just one more mix, you'll be a Green Monkey Master!

glassmeow said...

Thanks Splotchy!
It was fun!

Barbara Bruederlin said...

What a beautifully colourful music post! And you've made me all nostalgic for Cat Stevens. Must go dig out albums!

glassmeow said...

Ah! You still have your albums! I wish I did. I just downloaded them from iTunes :)

...haven't got a turntable any longer anyways.

Dale said...

I downloaded Tea for the Tillerman about a month or so ago and was happy to see it show up here. Nice selections and explanations!

glassmeow said...

Awww...thanks, Dale! That means a lot coming from you :)

I still need to go download the list - stuff I don't have - before it goes away.

Are you going to host a mix? You're eligible now, right?

ADR said...

*haha* Awesome choices! Not a one I wouldn't listen to. Furry Green Atom Bowl! Yay! And of course Orange Crush is great. I've been watching old concert vids of R.E.M. and am rediscovering some of the older songs that I hadn't heard in years. Fun stuff.